These vehicle designs look like they were made for a Batman movie, or maybe a space adventure. They're the direct result of the futurist bent in Soviet design. And some of them are just insane. We've got a gallery.
The Cyclops-like ZIS-112 with a single headlamp and an experimental 6005 cc engine, that could run the car with 126 mph (204 kmh) in 1951
GAZ TR "Arrow", with a jet engine, but only reached the speed of 185 mph (300 km/h) due to the lack of high-speed tires and special route, built in 1954
Moskvitch G2, an aerodynamic sports car concept, built in 1956, once reached the speed of 139 mph (223 kmh)
The Russian Flying Saucer, the EKIP or Tarielka, a series of experimental Soviet aircraft built by Lev Nikolaevich Schukin between 1978 and 1996
The first tests were successful, but after the fall of the Soviet Union the funding of the project was stopped. Schukin and few other scientists could continue the project until 1996, when it was finally ended.
A 300 ton version could carrying 100 tons of passengers and cargo, according to Schukin.
Only a 0.37 mi (600 m) section of the track was built near Moscow, and the first tests were successful, but after fall of the Soviet Union the project was stopped due to lack of funding.
According to English Russia:
"Our laboratory is working on a project of creating a passenger wagon that will move without touching the rails. It will move horizontally using the principle of a linear, three-phase, asynchronous motor. Moving with a cruising speed of up to 250 kilometers per hour, the vehicle will be virtually silent. The track can be raised on a platform over the main thoroughfares of the city. One kilometer will cost 3 to 5 times less than the subway," – the Head of the Laboratory VNIIPItransprogress, A. Chemodurov, said in an interview.
The only Lun-class ekranoplan, designed by Rostislav Evgenievich Alexeev, and used between 1987 and the late 1990s
Dozens of more photos of its condition in 2009 can be found here, on igor113's blog.
MAZ 2000 Perestroika, a truck set of modules built by the engineers of Minsk Auto Factory (MAZ), 1988
(via English Russia)