If there’s one thing we can definitely say about the future of Ghostbusters, it’s that we don’t know what’s going on. The Paul Feig movie is shooting but after that, rumors have continually surfaced then been debunked. Now, the Channing Tatum Chris Pratt team up rumor has risen from its grave.
Back in March, news broke that The Russo Brothers (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War) and Drew Pearce (Iron Man 3, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation) were working on a Ghostbusters film independent of the Feig one, that could potentially star Tatum and Pratt and eventually crossover with the ladies.
Since then, Pratt hasn’t said much about the idea. Tatum’s producing partner flat out said he didn’t think it was going to happen and the Russos signed to direct Marvel movies into the next decade. It wasn’t looking good. But in an interview with MTV, Pearce seems much more optimistic:
I’ve finished my work on that in the last couple weeks. Obviously it’s top secret, but there’s a gigantic bold idea that I came up with, and the Russo brothers and Ivan Reitman, who did the original movie, are going to take that and run with it. Obviously I cannot tell you what it is, but hopefully in one year’s time you’ll know!
What happens in one year’s time? The new Ghostbusters movie comes out, that’s what. July 22, 2016. Which leaves plenty of time to, potentially, rope in Tatum and Pratt:
That’s definitely the cast we’ve been thinking about as we approach the project. Whether that happens or not is very much above my pay grade. It’s just my job to give them something exciting that maybe they’ll do.
Even more interesting, in an interview with Nerd Report, Pearce said his “gigantic, bold idea” gives everyone involved the tools to, potentially, link all of these movies back to the original films:
My idea may allow them the ability to connect everything. It’s kind of a choice above my pay grade but on a level of imagination and creativity, I would love to see a world where all of the things were a shared universe. It’s just more attractive for a massive fan of Ghostbusters like me.
Sounds like Ivan Reitman, Dan Aykroyd and everyone involved in Ghostbusters are putting the pieces together to do something truly big once the Feig film hits. But, as of yet, plans seem not so much set in stone as in green ooze.
UPDATE - Pearce took to Twitter to explain his idea isn’t only guys, as some people have been assuming:
UPDATE 2: Director Ivan Reitman released a statement suggesting any film that’s not Paul Feig’s is not yet happening:
There has been a lot of excitement recently about what is happening with the Ghostbusters franchise. As the producer of the new Ghostbusters film, I feel the need to clarify. There is only one new Ghostbusters movie and that is the Paul Feig directed version coming next July, presently filming and going fantastically. The rest is just noise.