Ever since Star Wars, the special effects industry has taken us to amazing new worlds and recharged our sense of wonder. It's also grossed us the frak out. Exploding heads, severed limbs, strange mutilations... Here are the 20 most disgusting special effects of all time. Warning: NSFW!
Warning: These are in no particular order. But the further down you scroll in the list, the more disgusting the effects generally get. And we couldn't resist making GIFs of some of these. Be warned!
That said, we decided to leave out some gore from non-supernatural or science fictional movies like the Saw films, Ichi the Killer, Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom, or Maniac. All the scenes below involve magic, mystical forces, aliens or weird science.
1) Hemlock Grove - Werewolf Transformation Scene — We also love the gory werewolf transformations in American Werewolf in London, The Wolfman and The Company of Wolves, but this one is just so intense, with the wolf just pushing out of his face.
2) John Carpenter's The Thing: The Defibrillation Scene — Including The Moment Below, But Also Everything That Comes Afterwards.
3) Videodrome: Max Renn hallucinates (or does he) that he puts a gun inside a slot that opens up in his stomach. Later, that gun comes in handy.
8) Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Frank's Resurrection and the Rebirth of Skinless Frank. (Also a contender: Frank's final death scene, in which he gets ripped apart pretty graphically)
10) Slither: On a similar note, the massively pregnant woman, and a few other revolting bits of body horror
17) Evil Dead: The Tree Assault — here it is in the remake version. (Which also has some pretty insane gross-out scenes in the bathroom.)
18) Reanimator: The Severed Head Oral Sex Scene. Also, Beyond Reanimator has a duel to the death between a zombie rat and a zombie severed penis.
20) Faust - the Scariest "Expanding Breast" Scene Of All Time. This one is really, really, NSFW — but you can watch the clip here.
So... What did we leave out?
Additional reporting by Jason Shankel, Cheryl Eddy, Ed Grabianowski and Annalee Newitz.