Well, Sony’s had a productive day. They’ve just released a bunch of news about a bunch of movies—including the long-awaited Dark Tower adaptation, the Jumanji remake, the live-action Spider-Man reboot and the animated version and more—and here are all the details you need to know.
First and foremost, The Dark Tower movie finally has a premiere date, and it’s January 13, 2017. While January isn’t an especially auspicious month for movies that are theoretically supposed to be blockbusters, the fact that the film actually has a date, and that the date is only a year and a half away, leads one to believe it may finally get made.
Likewise, the new Jumanji finally has a date, and it’s soon—Decenber 25th, 2016—which is very much a date for family friendly potential blockbusters.
As for Spider-Man, the new live-action Marvel-partnered Spider-Man movie will be released on July 28, 2017, and Chris Miller and Phil Lord’s animated Spider-Man film will hit a year later, on July 20, 2018. If they both do well—and between Marvel, Miller and Lord, I think they probably will—I can see Sony happily turning Spider-Man into a yearly franchise, alternating between the two styles.
As for other miscellaneous news of note:
• The Barbie movie arrives in June 2017.
• The new Ghostbusters movie has moved up a week to July 15th, pitting it against the new Ice Age installment instead of the King Arthur action flick. Probably a smart move.
• Underworld 5 arrives in October of 2016, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter in January of 2017. I am not 100% convinced either franchise is done.
• Passengers, a space romance starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, is due on December 22, 2016, right in time for the holidays, meaning Sony has high hopes for it, too. Seeing as it stars the two most affable movie stars on the planet, they may be onto something.
• Bad Boys is getting not one but two sequels. Could this mean Michael Bay could finally be convinced to let go of the Transformers franchise? We’ll have to wait and see.
[Via The Wrap]
Contact the author at email@example.com.