The Oscar nominations are out. And it's sad year for the genre film. Inception, with 8 nominations total, is our only hope for a best picture win. Biggest snub of all: Daft Punk's Tron Legacy score.
The King's Speech is leading the way with 12 nominations, True Grit is close behind it with 10, and The Social Network and Inception are tied with 8 each. Not terribly surprising, since all of these films were predicted to do quite well during the award season, although we're still scratching our heads as to why Chris Nolan didn't get shot at best director.
What's shocking, though, was Tron Legacy's lock-out from a Visual Effects nom (though we'd rather have seen Scott Pilgrim mentioned in there). We're also a bit down that Tangled was snubbed a nod for Animated Feature Film. But the biggest burn of all was Daft Punk for original score. That's kind of bull crap.
Actor in a Leading Role
* Javier Bardem in "Biutiful"
* Jeff Bridges in "True Grit"
* Jesse Eisenberg in "The Social Network"
* Colin Firth in "The King's Speech"
* James Franco in "127 Hours"
Actor in a Supporting Role
* Christian Bale in "The Fighter"
* John Hawkes in "Winter's Bone"
* Jeremy Renner in "The Town"
* Mark Ruffalo in "The Kids Are All Right"
* Geoffrey Rush in "The King's Speech"
Actress in a Leading Role
* Annette Bening in "The Kids Are All Right"
* Nicole Kidman in "Rabbit Hole"
* Jennifer Lawrence in "Winter's Bone"
* Natalie Portman in "Black Swan"
* Michelle Williams in "Blue Valentine"
Actress in a Supporting Role
* Amy Adams in "The Fighter"
* Helena Bonham Carter in "The King's Speech"
* Melissa Leo in "The Fighter"
* Hailee Steinfeld in "True Grit"
* Jacki Weaver in "Animal Kingdom"
Animated Feature Film
* "How to Train Your Dragon" Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
* "The Illusionist" Sylvain Chomet
* "Toy Story 3" Lee Unkrich
* "Alice in Wonderland" Production Design: Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Karen O'Hara
* "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" Production Design: Stuart Craig
* "Inception" Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas; Set Decoration: Larry Dias and Doug Mowat
* "The King's Speech" Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Judy Farr
* "True Grit" Production Design: Jess Gonchor; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh
* "Black Swan" Matthew Libatique
* "Inception" Wally Pfister
* "The King's Speech" Danny Cohen
* "The Social Network" Jeff Cronenweth
* "True Grit" Roger Deakins
* "Alice in Wonderland" Colleen Atwood
* "I Am Love" Antonella Cannarozzi
* "The King's Speech" Jenny Beavan
* "The Tempest" Sandy Powell
* "True Grit" Mary Zophres
* "Black Swan" Darren Aronofsky
* "The Fighter" David O. Russell
* "The King's Speech" Tom Hooper
* "The Social Network" David Fincher
* "True Grit" Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
* "Exit through the Gift Shop" Banksy and Jaimie D'Cruz
* "Gasland" Josh Fox and Trish Adlesic
* "Inside Job" Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
* "Restrepo" Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger
* "Waste Land" Lucy Walker and Angus Aynsley
Documentary (Short Subject)
* "Killing in the Name" Nominees to be determined
* "Poster Girl" Nominees to be determined
* "Strangers No More" Karen Goodman and Kirk Simon
* "Sun Come Up" Jennifer Redfearn and Tim Metzger
* "The Warriors of Qiugang" Ruby Yang and Thomas Lennon
* "Black Swan" Andrew Weisblum
* "The Fighter" Pamela Martin
* "The King's Speech" Tariq Anwar
* "127 Hours" Jon Harris
* "The Social Network" Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter
Foreign Language Film
* "Biutiful" Mexico
* "Dogtooth" Greece
* "In a Better World" Denmark
* "Incendies" Canada
* "Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi)" Algeria
* "Barney's Version" Adrien Morot
* "The Way Back" Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
* "The Wolfman" Rick Baker and Dave Elsey
Music (Original Score)
* "How to Train Your Dragon" John Powell
* "Inception" Hans Zimmer
* "The King's Speech" Alexandre Desplat
* "127 Hours" A.R. Rahman
* "The Social Network" Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
Music (Original Song)
* "Coming Home" from "Country Strong" Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey
* "I See the Light" from "Tangled" Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater
* "If I Rise" from "127 Hours" Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong
* "We Belong Together" from "Toy Story 3" Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
* "Black Swan" Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers
* "The Fighter" David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers
* "Inception" Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers
* "The Kids Are All Right" Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers
* "The King's Speech" Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers
* "127 Hours" Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers
* "The Social Network" Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
* "Toy Story 3" Darla K. Anderson, Producer
* "True Grit" Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
* "Winter's Bone" Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers
Short Film (Animated)
* "Day & Night" Teddy Newton
* "The Gruffalo" Jakob Schuh and Max Lang
* "Let's Pollute" Geefwee Boedoe
* "The Lost Thing" Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann
* "Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)" Bastien Dubois
Short Film (Live Action)
* "The Confession" Tanel Toom
* "The Crush" Michael Creagh
* "God of Love" Luke Matheny
* "Na Wewe" Ivan Goldschmidt
* "Wish 143" Ian Barnes and Samantha Waite
* "Inception" Richard King
* "Toy Story 3" Tom Myers and Michael Silvers
* "Tron: Legacy" Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague
* "True Grit" Skip Lievsay and Craig Berkey
* "Unstoppable" Mark P. Stoeckinger
* "Inception" Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick
* "The King's Speech" Paul Hamblin, Martin Jensen and John Midgley
* "Salt" Jeffrey J. Haboush, Greg P. Russell, Scott Millan and William Sarokin
* "The Social Network" Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick and Mark Weingarten
* "True Grit" Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland
* "Alice in Wonderland" Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas and Sean Phillips
* "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz and Nicolas Aithadi
* "Hereafter" Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojanski and Joe Farrell
* "Inception" Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb
* "Iron Man 2" Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright and Daniel Sudick
Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
* "127 Hours" Screenplay by Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy
* "The Social Network" Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin
* "Toy Story 3" Screenplay by Michael Arndt; Story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich
* "True Grit" Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
* "Winter's Bone" Adapted for the screen by Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini
Writing (Original Screenplay)
* "Another Year" Written by Mike Leigh
* "The Fighter" Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson;
Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson
* "Inception" Written by Christopher Nolan
* "The Kids Are All Right" Written by Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg
* "The King's Speech" Screenplay by David Seidler
Hopefully there will be better news from the sci-tech awards.