If you want to find out what’s unusual about chloroauric acid, look at the “Au” in the middle. It indicates that this is an acid made using gold. We’ll tell you why people make this acid, and how it can hurt you.

Gold is tough to make into an acid because it’s tough to dissolve. For a long time, no one believed it could be dissolved at all. Gold symbolized immortality because it couldn’t be degraded or corroded. Eventually alchemists found a way to corrode it.

Advertisement

Aqua regia is a mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid. It delivers a one-two punch. The nitric acid sets gold atoms loose, and rips three electrons off of each of them. The hydrochloric acid supplies four negatively charged chlorine atoms and a hydrogen atom. The resulting mixture, when boiled down, results in solid crystals of chloroauric acid.

This is not something you want to mess with. It’s fitting that something that pretty to look at will go for your eyes. Traces of the acid are extremely corrosive to the eyes, but they’ll attack any part of the body they come in contact with. Incautious people can inhale the fumes from the acid. Some people even ingest it. Not only does the acid damage the tissues in the digestive system but the gold can impair kidney function.

Advertisement

So why make gold acid? Mostly chloroauric acid is a midpoint in the gold recovery process. When companies recover gold from old computer equipment, this is the stuff process they use, corroding gold until it forms a solid precipitate, and then separating the gold out from the chlorine and the hydrogen. So as cool as gold acid sounds (and I am hoping a Bond villain uses it at some point), it’s only a temporary by-product.

Top Image: April Nobile / © AntWeb.org, Vial: W. Oelen

[Source: Hydrogen tetrachloroaurate, The Formula for Aqua Regia]

Advertisement