We all know 2016 is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, and that’s cause for a lot of fanfare. A new movie, a new TV show, and multiple conventions are just a few of the things on the way. It also seems Star Trek has set its phasers to conquer the biggest convention of them all: San Diego Comic-Con, which begins July 21.
News just broke that Bryan Fuller, the executive producer of the still-untitled 2017 CBS Star Trek series, will have a panel in the biggest room at Comic-Con, Hall H, on July 23 during the afternoon. It’s called Star Trek: Celebrating 50 Years and he’s expected to reveal news about that show, and chat with members of each Trek cast. Announced so far are William Shatner, Michael Dorn, Brent Spiner, Jeri Ryan, and Scott Bakula.
That panel alone would be super cool, but it’s just the bridge of the Enterprise.
Paramount previously announced they’re hosting the world premiere of Star Trek Beyond right outside the convention, at the Embarcadero Marina Park. That event is “the first-ever outdoor IMAX premiere” and “will include appearances by the film’s cast and crew, and a live concert performance by the San Diego symphony orchestra.”
But wait, there’s more. Just announced are five more Trek panels happening during the convention. They are as follows.
- “Trek Talks: Science, the Smithsonian and ‘Star Trek’” (Friday, July 22, 6:30 p.m., Room 5AB)
- “‘Star Trek’: The Rodenberry Vault” (Saturday, July 23, 12:30 p.m., Room 5AB)
- “Trek Talks: ‘Star Trek’ and NASA Boldly Go” (Saturday, July 23 6 p.m., Room 5AB)
- “‘Star Trek’ the Official Starships Collection: Designing and Filming Starships” (Saturday, July 23, 3 p.m., Room 28 D/E)
- “‘Star Trek’: Five Decades of Comics” (Friday, July 22, 1:30p.m., Room 8).
And if that’s not enough, there’s also an art exhibit, 50 Years 50 Artists, open in a gallery near the convention center. More info here.
The full Comic-Con schedule is out later this week but it’s going to be hard for anything to top the presence Star Trek is going to have. And if you can’t attend, we’ll have all the information for you right here.