This is no ordinary collectible. This handmade replica of River Song's own personal sonic screwdriver was constructed personally by Nick Robatto, the man who's made all the sonic screwdrivers for Doctor Who. There are no prefab parts here, and he's only making 15 of them for Quantum Mechanix.
If you're a bonkers Doctor Who fan and you've got $3,500 laying around, you may just want to put your name on the waiting list for one of these. We've got some nice high res images, and here are the details:
This special edition of the Sonic Screwdriver has been handmade for QMx by Doctor Who Prop Maker Nick Robatto, who is based in Cardiff, Wales. Like the prop seen on-screen, this sonic screwdriver lights up at the tip. And behind a removable cover there's the neural relay which flashes to indicate the life force left in River Song.
River claims this antique-looking sonic screwdriver was a gift from the Doctor in an encounter he has no memory of, because her timeline runs contrary to his. Wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey stuff, indeed!
Each River Song's Sonic Screwdriver - Artisan Master Series:
- Is made entirely by hand by Mr. Robatto himself. Most of the parts were machined by hand — none were CNC'd; it is constructed exactly like the screen-used hero prop.
- Consists of approximately 70 components, most of them made of aluminum, brass, resin, nylon and polymethyl methacrylate.
- Features a crackle paint similar to that used on the 10th's Doctor's Sonic. However, the crackle is a bit larger and the color deeper and darker to reflect the age of River Song's Sonic.
- Takes two weeks to assemble.
- Contains no found objects, with the exception of screws and electronic components. All other parts are handmade.
- Measures about 6.89 inches (175 mm) long.
Each River Song's Sonic Screwdriver - Artisan Master Series comes nestled in a River Song diary prop replica. On the inside cover is a certificate of authenticity with the edition number and Nick Robatto's signature. The sonic and diary come packaged in a handmade wooden chest that features the Doctor Who logo.