This month marks 25 years since Doreen Green entered the world of Marvel Comics as Squirrel Girl, although her true road to becoming one of the greatest Marvel heroes around didn’t really begin until her excellent series Unbeatable Squirrel Girl kicked off in 2014. To celebrate her 25th anniversary, here are 25 of the best moments from this most fabulous of comic books.
25) 10-Year-Old Doreen’s Artwork Being Eerily Steve Ditko-Esque
This, from this week’s 25th Anniversary special issue, is amazing, because it’s literally Steve Ditko art from her first ever story in Marvel Super-Heroes Vol. 2 #8.
24) Getting Her Own Theme Song
Spider-Man has a theme song. Iron Man has a theme song. Captain America has a theme song. Why not Squirrel Girl? (It’s set to the theme song for the 1960s Spider-Man cartoon, if you want to sing along!)
23) Every Super Villain Trading Card Doreen Owns
These Deadpool-branded trading cards are Doreen’s key guide to all of her opponents. They’re also consistently hilarious.
22) The Perfect Debate About Superhero Costume Upgrades
Pro-tip: Superhero costumes made out of normal fabric are totally fine and unlikely to come to life/turn you evil.
21) The Visual Pun “Kraven’s Last Bundt”
“House of Mmm” is also excellent.
20) Squirrel Armor, Literally
It’s literally made out of Squirrels!
19) Doctor Doom’s Life, Saved By Cosplay
Has the Punisher ever actually looked so happy before?
18) Her Entire Super Crew
Koi Boi, Chipmunk Hunk, and of course, Doreen’s BFF Nancy Whitehead are all great. But introducing them to other superheroes tends to get a bit ... complicated.
17) Getting Nancy to Shout at a Monkey
Accomplished while Doreen was trying to figure out if Nancy actually has any animal-based powers.
16) Discussing Linguistics With Galactus
Sidenote: This is also the best version of Galactus in a comic book, hands down.
15) An Earnest Desire to Fight Dinosaurs
And many other things, but dinosaurs especially.
14) The Fact She Actually Listens to Supervillains First
Aside from being unbeatable, Squirrel Girl’s actual superpower is her ability to actually settle many conflicts by just actually talking to her potential opponents (and then kicking their butts if things go awry).
13) This Cover
Sometimes, a comic book cover is indeed too good.
12) Or Maybe This Cover
Thanks to Secret Wars, USG managed to get not one, but two #1 issues out in the same year. This is the perfect celebration.
11) No Wait, This Cover
The fighting game mash-up we need.
10) Actually, All the Covers
9) The Fact an Entire Issue Was Done as a Choose Your Own Adventure Comic
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #7 is the first issue of Squirrel Girl with replayability!
8) Bonding With Galactus Over... Thanos?
Like I said, best version of Galactus in a comic book, hands down.
7) Date Night With Sentinel #X-42903-22
Poor Sentinel #X-42903-22.
6) Teaching Count Nefaria (and Basically All of Us) How to Count in Binary on Our Hands
Which directly led to the most metal moment in comics last year.
5) The Time She Beat Up The Avengers For Mocking Her Friends
To be fair, they were being very rude.
4) Becoming the Iron Squirrel
3) Cat Thor, Loki’s Finest Illusion
When Loki offers to transform himself to show off to Nancy, this is the result, and let me tell you Thor hates it so much. Also, it’s pretty obvious that Nancy has been thinking about Cat Thor for quite some time before having this opportunity.
2) Selfies on the Moon
Because what else do you do after beating up Galactus and saving the world?
1) This Amazing Throwback to Her First Story Where She Defeated Doctor Doom by Overwhelming Him With Squirrels
Spot the difference. Hint: The difference is girls.